I am a skilled lecturer with 12+ years’ experience delivering instruction, evaluating students, developing and implementing schemes of work for English and Maths (KS3-KS4 / GCSE and Functional Skills). I also specialise in tutoring 8 + and 11+ (English and Maths) and also EFL (English as a Foreign Language) and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages): all levels.
While I taught at various secondary state schools and further education colleges in Hereford (Herefordshire College of Technology, The Bishop of Hereford’s Bluecoat School) and London (Alperton Community School, Ealing Alternative Provision, South Thames College, etc.) between 2007 and 2015, since March 2016 I have been tutoring on a full-time basis throughout London. My extensive experience in this field ranges from delivering EAP (English for Academic Purposes) to undergraduate students (University of Westminster) to teaching English and Maths to SEN (Special Educational Needs) pupils - including gifted and talented (Asperger’s, autistic spectrum, etc.) - in alternative provision (Fleet Tutors and SENsational Tutors) throughout London.
As far as my professional enrichment is concerned, in 2015 I completed English GCSE Enhancement Programme and Maths GCSE Enhancement Programme (authorised, inter alia, by National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics) that qualify me to teach both subjects to GCSE levels.
My recent tutoring success (2017 - 2018 preparation) has been my student's admission to Woodford County High School for Girls. I am currently preparing two students for the Godolphin and Latymer and Wycombe Abbey.
My experience teaching pupils with special educational needs includes:
1. September 2018 – Present
15 h per week; 1-to-1 tuition
Female pupil (10 years old)
- Smith – Magenis syndrome
- Intellectual / learning disability
- Significant speech and language delay or speech difficulties
- Behavioural difficulties (including self-injurious behaviour and aggression towards others)
2. February – July 2018
5 h per week; 1-to-1 tuition
Male pupil (14 years old)
- Difficulties regulating his sensory system, requiring a need to touch and fiddle with objects
- Difficulties with fine motor skills which impacted on his handwriting
- Hypersensitivity to noises, affecting his ability to concentrate (considerable attention deficit)
3. February 2018
Female pupil (8 years old)
5 h per week: 1-to-1 tuition
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Significant language delay and a pattern of behaviours
- Special educational needs in the following areas:
• Language and Communication
• Cognition and learning
• Social, emotional and behavioural development
• Physical and sensory
4. October 2017 – March 2018
Male pupil (7 years old)
20 h per week: 1-to-1 tuition
- Right frontocentral cortical dysplasia
- Functional disconnection with interior part of the corpus callosum
- Resection and disconnection of right hemisphere in May 2010 with resection of anterior part of corpus callosum and disconnection of frontal polar and orbital regions of frontal lobe in November 2011, left sided hemiparesis
- Severe learning difficulties (marked cognitive and development delay, visual and hearing impairment)
- Intractable epilepsy
5. September 2016 – July 2017
Male pupil (12 years old)
2 h per week: 1-to-1 tuition
Diagnosis: Global Development Delay
In essence, having spent the last 12 years of my professional career teaching and providing tutorial assistance, assessing and marking exams (oral and written) and homework, monitoring student activity via various systems including Moodle (Uxbridge College) and Individual Learning Plans, preparing teaching materials and, finally, undertaking administration related to the above, I have gained some considerable experience enabling me to provide my students with a suitable academic guidance and ascertain their success.